Thursday 28 July 2011

And We Are Off

I have done a fair amount of work for my family, my parents bathroom (still need to get that medicine cabinet done), my own bathroom (which only got the finishing touch last week) and last Christmas I did a fireplace install that I must say is pretty cool.  One of the coolest features of the fireplace is the custom mantel I built for it.

This is the second fireplace mantel I have built and what makes this one special, at least to me is that its all about the wood.  No stain, no profiles and no finish just good wood in a natural state. 
The mantel is effectively a box, simple butt joints with biscuits added for alignment.  The only real work that went into the mantel was to flatten one face and joint one edge of each of the five pieces that made up the box.  This was necessary so that when I cut the pieces to length and used my biscuit jointer I had straight flat edges to register from.The end result is a red oak box that seems to float on the stone wall.
In other news...I have some non woodworking pictures to post here.  I know this is preliminarily a woodworking blog, and don't worry it is going to stay that way, I do however have a love photography and this blog offers a good outlet for my amature picture taking shenanigans.  These three pictures (out of a set of nearly 1200) are from a school trip I took to Italy 3 years ago.  Enjoy.



Stayed tuned for more pictures and woodworking blogging.  If you listen carefully the next blog post you read may carry an important message with it, so stay tuned.  Thank you to the guys over in the woodwhisperer community,  if anyone has an interest in woodworking I highly recommend http://thewoodwhisperer.com/, for all the support you great people are giving me the strength to carry on with this little endeavour of mine.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment