Saturday 9 February 2013

All the Fittings

Week four is over and done with and it was a bit of a whirlwind, and not just because of the weather.  This week was about building and fitting drawers the traditional way, hand cut dovetails and a drawer pocket.  I made two (almost) drawers this week.

I started the week by preparing all the pieces for my drawers.  Two sides a front and a back for each drawer. Then it was onto cutting the dovetails for the drawers.  Half blinds on the front and through dovetails on the back.  For the desk top drawer the drawer fits right into carcass, but for the table drawer the drawer rides on runners and is held from above with kickers.



The kickers also serve as a point to secure the table top.  Screws pass up through the kickers and into the top.


After the drawers are assembled it is time to fit them to there opening.  This requires planning them on four sides.  To make planning all sides possible a hanger board is used to hold the drawer.

The finished desk drawer
Not bad for my second set of half blinds.

I have decide to work on getting my dovetails to fit right off the saw.  This has been going well but there are some gaps in some places that I will fix later.  Practise makes perfect.

Cheers
Hans Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment