Saturday 25 January 2014

In The Cold

Like much of North America it has been very cold here this past week, and I am sure I am not the only one wishing to crawl back under the blankets and wait for spring to roll around.

None the less work and life continues.  Rosewood has been very busy this week with the eight students learning about machinery, how to set it up correctly, use it and of course safety.  With so many people in the shop and Ron talking it has been hard to work there (no fault to anyone, just the way it goes).  I have been spending time at my computer instead (drinking lots of tea) working on the website, this blog and researching sustainable furniture and business practices, more on this to follow.

Ron explaining how to safely use a router table

My kitchen table has been reassembled, but it is not finished yet.  It is no longer at risking of falling apart if someone sneezes on it, but the top still needs to be re stained and a coat or two or three of finish still needs to be applied.

Kitchen table with one leaf folded up

Work also continues on the kitchen renovation.  The cabinets are now being constructed, I am waiting on a completion date so I can budget time for the rest of the work that needs to be done.  Next week I will be driving about to source lighting, plumbing fixtures and counter tops.

A second kitchen has come on to my plate.  I am helping some homeowners refinish their kitchen cabinets.  We began yesterday by cleaning the cabinets very well with a solution of TSP and water.  This will help to insure the new finish will adhere.

Finally I am working on a piece of furniture at this time.  My hope is that I can get this piece into a gallery so that people can see my work in person, not just on the web.  I am building a hall table out of maple and walnut, similar in design to my coffee table I built last summer.  Pictures and update will follow as I get underway with this project.

Cheers
Hans Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment