Sunday 6 November 2011

A Wonderful Idea Hidden Beneath Misconceptions

We have too much stuff.  I see this now, and it bothers me how much stuff we have.  A few months ago when I read Chris Swharz's The Anarchist Tool Chest ( a book I highly recommend) the big idea I took away from the book was minimalism is a great way of life.  I do not know if Mr. Shwarz's idea was to sell people on minimalism, maybe the book would have been called the Minimalist Tool Chest then, however the idea of having a small collection of quality useful tools really stuck with me, and has thrown me down a strange rabbit hole.

I started thinking about the tools I own and use, and thought to myself that I am doing pretty good with only buying necessary items, so I felt pretty good.  Then I looked at other things in my life and tried to see if I was as minimal...nope.

I think that a lot of people have a misconception about minimalism that makes them  believe it is cold and borrowing.  Houses with no decoration, no detail and people that keep no stuff.  I think if you go back to the people who first thought of the ideas of minimalism their ideas may have been a little different.  I like to see minimalism as a way of living with the necessary things, and still being able to live efficiently and comfortably.  If you want to live in a house with detail and mouldings go for it.  The idea is to not live in excess to not let all the stuff get in the way of living.

People should be happy with the things they have and not consistently want more.  A hard thing to do considering advertising, marketing and media is always pushing people to buy stuff.

In closing on this topic I will say this.  Don't go through everything you own and through away everything that is not necessary to living.  Instead go through your stuff and get rid of the things that are not necessary to make you happy.  With less stuff in the house, room or office (shop for us woodworker people) there is more room to live, spread out and breath.

Cheers
Hans Christopher

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more , I look around and see so much stuff that I've accumulated over the years . Time to clean house and the shop . Machines I thought I needed to be a better woodworker I now know I don't need them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure Jerry. It seems like I am constantly geting rid of stuff out of my shop and other parts of the house. It feels great to free up some much needed space. I just finished emptying out my bedroom as well of all the useless stuff and it feels great. the room feels more inviting now that it is not swamped by all kinds of useless trinkets.

    ReplyDelete