Sunday 12 February 2012

Helping Out The Family and The Enviroment

Recycling is a great thing.  It can be hard to do, but is incredibly rewarding.  Recently I built some cabinets and a work bench for my Dad out of recycled material.


A majority of the material came from my neighbour who was cleaning out his garage.  He had a whole whack of plywood and other sheet goods he no longer wanted.  He walked down to my house one day and simply asked if I wanted any stuff totally for free and I said sure even though at that time I had no plans for any of it.

Low and behold I had promised my dad some things for his birthday to help him work in the garage where he tinkers with motorcycles, and these materials would help out perfectly.

So after the school semester had finished off I began work on the two cabinets and the work bench.

The cabinets are very simply built.  Rabbets glue and pins to hold all the pieces together and doors built using glue and pocket screws.  This was the first time I had used my kreg pocket screw jig and it is a beauty to use; it sets-up quickly and works fuss free.  The rails and styles of the doors had grooves cut in them to accept the panel which was 1/4 inch mdf I had laying around from a previous project.



The workbench is a torsion box top (first time ever building a torsion box) with simple plywood L-shaped legs and a simple shelf.




So now my dad has a place to work and a place to store stuff.  Hopefully this will keep him out of my space and away from my stuff.

Cheers
Hans Christopher

P.S. Sorry dad for the delay in getting the stuff built.

No comments:

Post a Comment