Tuesday 22 January 2013

From The Classroom

My Rosewood Bench

Sorry for the delay in this post, I meant for this to come out last week but getting settled and adjusted to the new routine threw me for somewhat of a loop.


I have now completed the first week of the Rosewoood 12 week program.  Week one was all about hand work, specifically hand planes and cutting dovetails.  The first exercise involved making a perfect six square board of poplar, a fun and easy project.



After the board was perfect it was ripped in half to be used as practise for hand cutting dovetails.  Dovetails are a tricky thing to learn by reading a book.  There are so many different ways to cut dovetails that reading about all the different ways can confuse many people.  Cutting dovetails is something I have tried myself to little success, after seeing Ron cut the dovetails and then trying them myself I made huge improvements in my dovetailing.



Up next on the schedule is a pair of Krenov sawhorses.  Stay tuned.

Cheers
Hans Christopher

2 comments:

  1. Nice looking dovetails there man !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerry. They look way better in the photo. Ron taught me some great techniques for cuting dovetails.

      Cheers

      Delete