Sunday 18 March 2012

A Bench Update

Short post today...to those of you who are tired of reading my ramblings you are welcome. 

The bench is coming along nicely.  I have the tenon on the top cut so that I can add the end cap eventually.

A rather large hand cut double tenon. 
I used a plow plane to establish the shoulders
this was more accurate for me then trying to saw the shoulders.
I then used a 1 1/2" chisel to create the rest of the tenon.

I have also started the dog hole strip.  Cutting all the dog holes by hand is a long process but a lot of fun.  I start with some simple pencil layout lines.  Then I knife in the lines on the top surface where the cut will be visible on the finished bench.  I then use a chisel to make a first class saw cut notch (this helps create a cleaner cut line as well as guide the saw.  I cut the two side walls then use a chisel to waste out most of the material.  I finish off with a router plane to achieve a uniform depth.



I am now about half way through the dog hole strip.  Once I get the remaining dog holes knocked out I will glue on the backer and then glue the whole piece to the rest of the top.

And now because it has been a long time since I posted some random pictures here are more from my travel to Italy a few years ago.






Now I am off to enjoy the sweet sounds of the Tragically Hip and the awesome weather we have for march (stupid global warming).

Cheers
Hans Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment