Wednesday 19 June 2013

Tool Chest

After the twelve week class at Rosewood I was enrolled in the Chris Schwarz Anarchist Tool Chest Class.  That was a heck of experience, the class was action packed, lots to learn, and lots to build in five days.

Chris was an awesome guy, fun to share a pint with, with lots of information to share.

Laying out the pins

The majority of the week was spent cutting dovetails, everything is dovetailed; carcass, skirts, till, dust seal.  So after five days laying out, sawing and CHOPPING dovetails is almost second nature which is a great skill to have.

Watch this video to see me assemble my tool chest.

Fitting the bottom boards of the chest

I wasn't able to finish the chest in the five days.  I manage to get the carcass assembled and the skirts installed.  The following week with no class running in the school I finished off the lid and got all the interior storage completed.

The chest is now complete and I love it.  I like that all my tools now have a solid home.  The tills on the inside mean everything has a place to go, which helps with my work flow during the day.  Once I am done with a tool I find that I put it right away back where it belongs which helps keep my bench top clear.


The chest now sits behind me at my bench which makes everything I need in arms reach which is fantastic.


The saw till is screwed straight to the lid and holds my backs saws.  A saw till in the chest holds to hand saws and a coping saw, with more space if I want to add more saws.


The three tills in the chest hold everything from joinery planes to pencils, callipers to braces.  I may add some dividers to the tills to keep some items from banging around, but I don't want to limit storage flexibility in the tills.


Added a tool rack to the chest, the rack sits on a french cleat so it can be pulled out and hung on a wall if it wanted to.  Right now the rack holds my chisels, marking knives and marking gauges, but has space to hold more.

A wonderful project, and a very fun class to participate in.  A huge shout out to Chris and many thanks.

Cheers
Hans Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment